Waukegan Park District Parks Use Permits
Park Use Permits
Waukegan Park District’s parks and facilities are ideal sites for groups and individuals. You will enjoy the natural beauty of the parks, and appreciate the convenience of facilities provided in various areas. See the application form, located at the bottom of this page, for the various locations and features of each park.
Why Park Use Permits Are Required
Our mission is to provide facilities, parks and open spaces that are attractive and safe for the people of our community. The Park Use Permit allows us to avoid overcrowding and accommodate groups for a pleasant, enjoyable park experience. It also allows you to reserve a specific pavilion.
Park Permit & Rental Rates and Application
Applications are now available for the 2014 season and are accepted at the Belvidere Recreation Center, 412 S. Lewis Ave., between 9:00am - 4:30pm, Monday through Friday on a first-come, first served basis. Click here to download the application.
There are two different types of Park Permits available:
• A permit for a specific pavilion (Bevier, Bowen or Hinkston Parks). These permits reserve the pavilion for your group and include picnic tables and grills. Reservations are also available for the Bowen Park Formal Garden and the Washington Park Bandshell. These two sites do not have picnic tables or grills.
Examples of different functions that require a Park Use Permit:
• A company, organization or church desiring to have a picnic
- The permit holder must declare on the permit application all activities which will take place and all equipment/supplies which will be used on the park premises.
- All Park Use Permits are subject to approval by the Superintendent of Parks.
- Some activities will require a certificate of insurance naming the Waukegan Park District as an “additional insured.”
- Permits may not be considered or approved if submitted on short notice.
- All functions conducted in District parks or facilities must be held in accordance with
District ordinances, policies and rules.
- Observe closing hours for park site (in most cases sunset).
- Alcoholic beverages are not allowed in District parks or facilities.
- Vehicles are not allowed on grass areas and are restricted to designated parking areas only.
- Loud music, obscene language or boisterous behavior breaching the public peace is not permitted.
- Facilities must be cleaned after use, trash and recyclables placed in proper containers and coals must be disposed of in designated concrete containers.
- The Park Patrol officer will monitor Park Use Permits. Please make sure to have your copy with you.
- You must notify the Parks Department if your event is cancelled at (847) 360-4725.
If you wish to reserve a baseball field, softball field, soccer field or basketball court, please inquire about field availability and
field usage charges at 847-782-3627.
Application for Pavilion Rentals & Green Space Permits
A Park Use Permit Application must be filled out for Pavilion Rentals and Green Space Permits. Applications shall be made in person at the Belvidere Recreation Center, 412 South Lewis Avenue, Waukegan, IL 60085 during regular business hours (Monday thru Friday, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.). Proof of residency and identification are required.
Park Use Permit applications are accepted beginning the first Monday of March for the upcoming season. Applications are processed on a "first-come, first-served" basis. The rental fees and security deposit must accompany the application. Personal checks shall not be accepted less than fourteen (14) days prior to the reservation date. Cash, MasterCard or Visa are accepted at anytime with application. There is a $25 fee for returned checks.
Applications must be submitted as follows:
• Weekday rentals–No later than noon the weekday before the rental.
• Weekend rentals–No later than noon the Thursday before the rental.
Last minute requests may be processed after noon, however, no additional District services will be provided.
All cancellations must be in writing. Cancellation refunds of facility fees and deposits are issued on the following basis:
• Cancellations made up to one (1) week prior to reservation: Full refund of security deposit and facility fees.
• Cancellations made less than one (1) week prior to reservation date: Refund of security deposit only. Facility fee not refundable. Refunds will not be made if the cancellation is due to inclement weather.
• Mail cancellation requests and return permit to: Parks Department, Park Maintenance Facility, 2211 Ernie Krueger Circle, Waukegan, IL 60087.
Security deposit refunds will be made after the facility has been inspected and is deemed clean and undamaged. The District reserves the right to assess additional charges for damages and/or additional cleaning. Security deposit refunds will usually be mailed to renters within two (2) weeks after the rental. If the actual attendance is larger than the number stated on this application, the deposit may be forfeited.
The application must be signed by an adult (21 years of age or older) who will be in attendance and who will assume full responsibility for group use.
Standards for Issuance
One or more of the following items may pertain to issuing a Park Use Permit.
1. That the proposed activity or use of the park shall not unreasonably interfere with or detract from the general public environment of the park.
2. That the proposed activity and use will not unreasonably interfere with or detract from the promotion of public health.
3. That the proposed activity or use is not unreasonably anticipated to incite violence, crime or disorderly conduct and will not entail unusual, extraordinary or burdensome expense or police operation by the Park District.
4. That the park desired has not been reserved for other use at the day and hour required in the application.
5. A permittee shall be bound by all park rules and regulations and all applicable ordinances.
6. An applicant is required to provide the Waukegan Park District with a certificate of insurance naming the Waukegan Park District as an “additional insured” for bounce houses and other such activities that pose a risk of injury.
7. An applicant shall be required to indemnify and hold harmless the Waukegan Park District’s officers and employees for liability arising out of such permitted activities before issuance of a permit.
8. An applicant may be required to hire off-duty Waukegan Police Department officers for security.
9. An applicant may be required to provide a refundable $250 deposit to the District for cleanup and/or damage. The District reserves the right to assess charges for damages and/or additional cleaning. Deposits are refundable provided all rules and policies are followed. Refunds shall be made after the area has been inspected and is deemed clean and undamaged.
10. If an applicant is requesting to sell food at the proposed activity, it will be necessary to obtain a permit from the Lake County Health Department.
11. Due to parking constraints, the Waukegan Park District may limit attendance when necessary.
12. The Waukegan Park District reserves the right to terminate its permits if: a) Applicant misrepresents, falsifies, or withholds information, or b) If requirements, restrictions, terms and conditions or rules pertaining to this permit or any Waukegan Park District ordinances are violated.
13. Applicant requesting a park (and not renting a pavilion) must submit a $25.00 permit fee.
For More Information
If you have any questions regarding Park Use Permits, call the Waukegan Park District Parks Department at (847) 360-4725 between 8:00am and 4:00pm Monday through Friday. The Waukegan Park District reserves the right to assess additional fees if the proposed activity is outside the scope of general use of the parks.